Palliative Care Support (5N3769)
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the relevant knowledge, skills and competence to care for and address the needs of a person and their significant others, after the diagnosis of a life limiting illness in a dignified, inclusive and holistic manner. In attaining the above objective the course evolves through 4 main areas : 1) Working with a palliative care approach 2) Communication skills 3) Death and dying 4) Bereavement care. This part-time, single module program, successful completion of which leads to QQI Level 5 component 5N3769, can be used as a component in QQI Level 5 Major award - Healthcare Support. Working with palliative care approach will outline to the student the sensitivity of the individualised care they are providing by understanding the terms "palliative care"," end of life care","cancer","symptom control","dignified death" and life limiting illness.The importance of multi- disciplinary teams in working together to provide palliative care support will be covered in depth. The carer will be encouraged to recognise their own feelings and to develop personal coping mechanisms to carry out their role efficiently. Communication skills will be honed to cope with clients and clients families, who through their current circumstances show emotions such anger, fear, sadness, depression , withdrawal or confusion. Death and dying: In the last days of their life person centered caring approach is promoted. This time requires a carer to fully understand their role in providing the client's care with dignity, safety, respect and comfort. Bereavement Care support will outline how individuals cope with loss and the role of the carer in providing sensitive support at this time.
"This course was a heavier subject to learn. However the tutor delivered it in an easy to understand manner while making everyone feel part of the class" - Sarah
Learners will be able to:
- Discuss the philosophy and principles of palliative care
- Summarise the structure and organisation of palliative care services to include the role played by the multi-disciplinary team and diverse family structures in the provision of care for a terminally ill person
- Discuss the role of the support worker in the promotion of key issues such as life quality, self-esteem, respect, privacy and dignity in palliative care work
- Explore different attitudes to death and dying to include an understanding of individual patterns of grief, bereavement and loss
- Employ a range of communication strategies and processes which are central to the work in palliative care
- Apply a person-centered approach to caring for a person in the last days of their life to include the provision of supportive and holistic care promoting safety, dignity, respect and comfort
- Respond appropriately to the needs of the person who is confused in the last days of life
- Work effectively and with great sensitivity in relation to the dying person and their significant others in a palliative care setting
- Use the range of skills required from a palliative support worker in relation to end of life care.
- Award Title:
- Duration: 150 hours of which 50 hours is directed learning and 100 hours self directed learning.
- Entry requirements: Leaving Certificate or relevant qualifications and/or relevant life and work experience. Participants must speak and work in English at a standard appropriate to the course content.
- Award Type: Minor Award
- Framework Level: NFQ Level 5
- Awarding Body: QQI (Quality and Qualifications Ireland)
- Learner Record
- Protection for learners:NCU Training is one of only seven fully bonded and insured ICPA (Irish Course Providers Association) member training providers in Ireland. If you train with us your course is fully insured for refund of all fees in case of disruptions. *This is only available on courses of three months in Duration
- Complaints procedure:It is your right as a client of our service to make a complaint if you feel your experience with us falls short of what you expected. We want the process to be easy, effective and fair. If you would like to make a complaint you can either call us on 01-8479463 or email us directly at email@example.com
Price and next starting date.
- Price: €250 (Excluding certification fee)
- View upcoming courses for next starting date